Dell's server leadership will deliver comprehensive multi-core technology across the entire server product line
Through our leadership and proven track record, Dell knows how to introduce leading technologies - and multi-core will continue this winning strategy
DellTM will deliver a well-balanced solution for multi-core platforms based on leading technology from Intel® . Our strategy focuses on the complete holistic platform and not just a faster processor. Dell has led the drive towards industry standards, and multi-core technology will be no different. With key industry firsts, such as the first blade server without a price premium and platforms with PCI ExpressTM , DDR-2 memory and 64-bit extensions, Dell has been at the forefront of delivering industry-leading technology that helps set the pace for the rest of the industry.
Dell's strategy focuses on:
Together these pieces help ensure consistent, timely project deployments for customers with the ability to test and deploy multi-core technology across their enterprise.
- Industry-standard technology
- A strong ecosystem of applications
- Volume deployment of single socket systems, followed by dual and quad socket systems
- Confidence in supply through our partnership with Intel
Our strategy focuses on the complete platform and will include:
Together these different technologies are designed to deliver a better overall server platform for deploying critical applications. Dell's complete architecture will focus on all aspects of server performance, from the processor, memory and I/O, as well as optimised software, all designed for an easily deployable and scalable solution.
- In addition to multi-core, Intel's Hyper-Threading technology can double the number of threads in a single processor socket, helping to improve performance and utilization
- Dell servers using Intel's Virtualization Technology (VT) with multi-core processors are designed to deliver greater performance and scalability - making them an excellent platform for consolidation, helping to maximize enterprise ROI
- With our leadership in PCI Express, Dell will continue to pursue greater I/O performance for a well-balanced, high-throughput system
- Dell will continue to have a broad array of industry-leading memory technologies that help increase performance in compute-intensive environments
- Dell's multi-core systems are designed to deliver ongoing improvements in performance/watt with the first dual-core products from Dell yielding up to 43%x performance/watt improvement
- Dell's alliances with such software leaders as Microsoft® , Oracle® , SAP® , VMware® , Red Hat® , Novell® , Altiris® and others help strategically align new multi-core technologies with the applications best able to take advantage of the new performance
Over time Dell will migrate multi-core technologies across our entire product line. Through our volume multi-core strategy, Dell can help ensure that customers can optimise their deployments and easily transition to the new multi-core technologies.
For more information: