Dell Support Services - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
|Dell Support Service Requirements|
Service period: How can I check when my Dell product service period expires? Top
Service details: Where can I find details of Dell Support Services? Top
Service Details: What Does Dell Support Service exclude?
- Fixing issues with the Operating System other than as required for resolving hardware issues
- Accidental damage including spills, drops, power surges (CompleteCare Accident cover required)
- Theft (CompleteCare Theft cover required)
- Intentional damage, normal wear and tear, unreasonable or excessive use, acts of God including fire and flood, environmental conditions, act of violence or similar occurrence.
- Damage caused by use of components of software not supplied by Dell, relocation or transportation, servicing not authorised by Dell, usage not in accordance with product instructions, improper voltage selection on systems power supply.
- Assistance with Spyware/Virus Removal (a separate chargeable service may be available).
- General usage questions for Operating System, Email, Internet set-up and Network set-up.
- General usage questions for installation, and configuration of software applications after 30 days.
- Non-Dell supplied hardware, their installation & compatibility with Dell branded hardware (Original manufacturer supports).
- Other exclusions as described in the relevant service description and Dell's Terms & Conditions. This does not affect consumers’ statutory rights.
Support Boundaries: What are the boundaries of Dell’s support services?
Installation and configuration advice on your Dell product for the critical first 30 days after delivery;
Comprehensive online help via the web, email and chat support with a Dell Technician;
Hardware problem diagnosis and resolution service either via email, chat or by telephone call with a Dell Technician;
A repair and replacement parts service, if required after completion of Dell’s problem diagnosis procedures.
For more details about exclusions, see Dell’s Service Descriptions
Service Abroad : Is Dell Support service available internationally?
For Dell laptop computers with International Service cover, service is available while travelling outside of the country in which it was purchased. This service is only available in countries where there is a “Direct” Dell Business. Top
For other Dell products, service is valid only in the country in which the Dell product was purchased. Dell will transfer the service providing we are advised of the relocation, and that the service is available in the new location. Service will be available in the new country once Dell has been has been notified and Dell’s system updated. If systems are being relocated internationally, Customers should complete the transfer form located on the Dell’s website http://www.dell.com/globaltagtransfer
Technical Sales Queries: I have a technical question regarding a Dell product I am interested in buying – whom do I contact?
Link to the contact page for your local country on: http://www.euro.dell.com and locate the Sales phone number on the list Top
Sales Order queries: I have a question regarding a missing/wrong/damaged item in a recently delivered order – whom do I contact?
Link to the contact page for your local country on: http://www.euro.dell.com and locate the Customer Care phone number on the list. Top
Service and Technical Support Queries: I have a service/technical question/issue with my Dell product – whom do I contact?
Link to the contact page on: http://support.euro.dell.com and choose your preferred method of contacting Technical Support (email, chat and telephone). Top
Opening Hours: What time are your offices open for service?
Link to the contact page on: http://support.euro.dell.com and view opening hours Top
Requirements for Service: What information do I need when calling Dell for service?
Each system shipped by Dell is individually built to order, and the details of that configuration are recorded on Dell’s call-management system. You should identify the service tag number and model of your product and have convenient access to your system to assist the Dell technician before calling. The service tag can be found on a white label on the back of desktop systems and on the bottom of laptop systems. Top
Diagnosing a technical problem: How can I help Dell in fixing my problem?
When you contact Dell the technician will request your assistance to help “troubleshoot” the problem in order to diagnose the fault. To complete the diagnostics you must have convenient access to the system and its component parts* when contacting technical support. The Dell technician will work together with you to ensure that you are properly instructed on how to proceed.
* For laptop systems this could include AC adaptor, system CDs, battery, cables, docking station and, if possible, a screwdriver
Technical Troubleshooting: What does troubleshooting involve?
For each call, the Dell technician has been trained to undertake a process to ensure the fastest possible resolution. To do this the technician will request your assistance to help “troubleshoot” the problem in order to diagnose the fault. The diagnostic process will enable the Dell technician to identify the system part that has failed, if any, so that a replacement part can be provided. The Dell technician will work together with you to ensure that you are properly instructed on how to proceed.
Examples of what can be included in the scope of the troubleshooting are:
- Running hardware fault diagnostic tests
- Installation of service packs and other software updates
- Re-installation and default configuration of Dell factory-installed operating systems, software and drivers
- Opening the system to reseat parts. The Dell technician will inform you if this is necessary and work with you.
Assisting the Dell Technician: Why do I need to assist the Dell Technician?
Dell will help you to resolve hardware faults but we need your cooperation and assistance. With a few diagnostic tests and your assistance Dell can quickly identify the exact part necessary (if any) to fix the problem. The Dell technician will work together with you to ensure that you are properly instructed on how to proceed. Top
30-Day “Getting Started” Assistance: What help will dell provide me?
To help “get you started” for the first 30 days after delivery, Dell provides telephone technical support, installation and configuration advice on:
(i) Dell manufactured products;
(ii) Dell supplied external peripherals;
(iii) Factory-installed operating systems and software.
After 30 days from the delivery date, general usage and "how to" software questions are not supported. Top
On-line Service and Support: How can I help resolve problems myself?
Support Website: Comprehensive Online Support is available free of charge 24x7 at http://support.euro.dell.com. Resources include:
- Access to much of the same reference material used by Dell technicians including problem-diagnosis tools, troubleshooting information and frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- Information on your individual system, accessed by keying in your system tag number
- Drivers, utilities and registration for update notification
- Discussion group with other customers and Dell technical professionals
Contacting Dell Technical Support: When should I contact Dell for help?
If you have a problem with your Dell product and cannot resolve it using our on-line support tools you should contact Dell’s Technical Support for problem diagnosis. There are three means of contact:
E-mail support: Email support is available providing response within one working day.
Chat Support: On-line Chat provides live interactive support with a Dell Technician. (Available for selected countries)
Telephone support: Standard telephone support and service is provided Monday-Friday during local business hours and excludes weekends and public national holidays. If you require telephone support outside of business hours, Dell also offers premium service options with evening, weekend and even 24x7 telephone support. Note that calls to Dell's telephone technical support line are charged at local national rates.
Onsite Service: When will Dell send an engineer to fix my issue?
Should your Dell product develop a fault, Dell Support Services can provide a repair service after completion of the support procedures, including problem diagnosis. See invoice to confirm length of service contract. After this, the service is subject to a separate charge.
Dell Support Services have two delivery methods:
* Subject to parts availability. Availability of service, cut-off times and response-time estimates may vary according to the remoteness or accessibility of product location Top
- Customer Replaceable Parts
Dell may opt to send a system part, which can easily be replaced by the customer, directly to the customer to exchange with the defective part. These items will be defined by the Dell technician during the diagnostics process, but will generally include monitors, mice, desktop keyboards, laptop batteries, AC adapters, etc. Replacement parts may be reconditioned or refurbished and are replaced on the basis of specification and not on brand and model.
- Engineer Replaceable Parts
Dell's European Collect and Return Service (CAR) will collect, repair and return the customer's system within six business days, after completion of telephone-based troubleshooting when a Dell technician accepts and logs a system fault call. If the call is logged before local cut-off time*, the unit will be collected during the next working day.
Dell's At Home Service (NBD) can place a Dell-certified engineer at the customer's location within five business days, at a pre-arranged time, after completion of telephone-based troubleshooting*.
Dell's Next Business Day On-Site Service (NBD) can place a Dell-certified engineer at the customer's location the following business day, after completion of telephone-based troubleshooting when a Dell technician accepts and logs a system fault call before local cut-off time*.
Dell's Same Business day On-Site Service (SBD) can place a Dell-certified engineer at the customer's location within 4 hours, after completion of telephone-based troubleshooting when a Dell technician accepts and logs a system fault call before local cut-off time*.
Collect And Return Service: Why doesn’t Dell provide me with a replacement system while mine is in repair:”
Dell aims to provide value for money and the cost of providing a replacement system, configured with your applications and data would increase the price of the service to our customers. If you cannot afford to be without your system for more than a day, we have an alternative at additional cost - Next Business Day On-site service. Top
Repair service: Why do I need to troubleshoot with Dell before an engineer is sent?
Troubleshooting determines the cause of the problem to find a resolution. If Dell identifies a failed part, an engineer can be sent ,if necessary, to replace it. However, in many cases, the problem can actually be resolved by telephone and without the need of waiting for an engineer to call. Where a replacement part is required, note that some parts can be fitted easily and dispatched direct to you with no need for an engineer. This process ensures that the problem is fixed both quickly and efficiently. Top
Repair service: How quickly will Dell send an Engineer?
Before Dell Technical Support can send an engineer, troubleshooting steps must be performed with you to determine the cause of the problem and to find a resolution. If Dell Technical Support identifies a failed part, depending on the complexity and the type of service contract, Dell may book an engineer to fit the replacement.
- Collect and Return Service: The unit can be collected the next business day* and the unit will then be repaired and returned within five further business days.
- At Home Service: An engineer can visit your location within five business days, at a pre-arranged time*. The unit will be repaired on-site.
- Next Business Day On-Site Service: An engineer can visit your location the next business day*. The unit will be repaired on-site.
- Exchange Service: Dell can dispatch a replacement product to your location the next business day*, in exchange for the faulty unit.
- Same Business Day On-Site Service: An engineer can visit your location the same business day, within 4 hours. The unit will be repaired on-site.
Service call “cut-off” Times (Monday-Friday)
|NBD||17:00||16:30 UK & Ireland |
15:30 Denmark, Finland, Norway, and Sweden
|SBD ||16:00||15:30 Denmark, Finland, Norway, and Sweden|
* Subject to parts availability. Availability of service and response-time estimates may vary according to the remoteness or accessibility of product location. For more information, please check with your local Dell office. Top
On-site repair service: What will an Engineer do while on site?
- Introduce themselves and present ID if a home user.
- Establish if the customer is the owner or user & discuss the issue.
- Explain the fault, what parts they have, and what they will do.
- Give an estimate of normal time for work. If it is a quick task, it should be made it clear up front.
- Confirm service tag of system, ensure that they use ESD kit (mat & wrist-strap).
- Swap parts, test, and update the customer on status.
- Give "care" advice for system if appropriate or asked.
- Ask the customer to check the engineer’s work & test system.
- Make sure the customer is happy with the work & that there are no other issues or concerns with Dell.
Reloading customer applications: Top
Dell provides hardware warranty, to replace faulty parts & if necessary reload O/S and drivers, not Applications.
If you require assistance with installing Applications, please contact Dell Technical Support at http://support.euro.dell.com/
Dell Business Support (DBS): What are the key points that I should know?
Service Features (additional to standard service)
What does Technical Account Management comprise?
- 24/7 Dedicated Telephone Technical Support with Industry-Certified Advanced Level Technicians
- Technical Account Manager Services
- Performance Reporting
- A single point of contact for escalations.
- If Dell determines a problem with a MS OS, MS Application or with a select hardware product, then Business Support will contact the vendor and provide details on the incident to the customer.
- Dell will monitor the problem resolution process and obtain status and plans from the vendor until the problem is closed.
- Dell shall not be responsible for a third party vendor's inability to solve a particular customer problem.
- Providing monthly updates on BIOS, driver, and software changes affecting the hardware via Business Support internet site.
Business Helpdesk Support (BHS): What are the key points that I should know?
BHS is designed to provide customers with 500 or more end users and their own helpdesk with the ability to carry out diagnosis on Dell Client Hardware.
BHS programme provides:
- Training and certification on fault diagnosis
- 24x7 Web based call logging system (no waiting time over the phone)
- On-site service by Dell Service Provider engineer
- 24x7 L2 telephone support for more complex issues